The Eckstine update was released only a few days ago and, although some improvements have been made, several bugs spawned from the update.
What did the “Eckstine” update bring its users?
- Improvements to the content management strategy (CMS) in the areas of speed, security and search capabilities.
- Block directory for single-block plugins which now enables block discovery as well as installation inside the editor.
- Automatic updates for themes and plugins (not so great if there are bugs!)
- Extensible core sitemaps (XML Sitemaps) are now included, relinquishing the need for a plugin for this functionality.
- Images are now loaded as the user scrolls which will speed up the performance, particularly on mobile devices.
- Metaboxes are now moveable with the keyboard and assistive devices can see the status messages in the image editor, greatly improving accessibility.
- Themes and plugin updates can now be done by uploading a ZIP file.
- The Dashicons project has received its final library update adding 39 block editor icons and 26 others.
What are the issues we’ve noticed so far?
Bugs are to be expected with new updates, but they sure are pesky. We often recommend waiting for the post-update-update, i.e. version 5.5.1 but if you’ve already clicked the update button, keep that in mind for the next time.
Here’s a quick overview of what our team of experts have noticed thus far:
- Primary menus are no longer working properly.
- Secondary menus have disappeared and are no longer accessible.
- Media libraries now display as a blank page.
- Some plugins are no longer displaying properly.
- The classic editor plugin is no longer working properly.
- HTML embedded functions are appearing as “non-functional”.
- A variety of other plugins are not working properly.
- Rank Math no longer appears in the margin of posts.
- Some tags have disappeared in posts altogether.
- Certain plugins can no longer be deleted.
If you’re experiencing any of the above, don’t start deleting blocks of your site quite yet! We’re well equipped to help. Reach out to us to get started!